Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Not a Dear John

Dear Eric,

How do I begin this entry without exposing too much personal detail? Tomorrow is your birthday. 39 you will be, to self-consciously mimic Yoda.

As I consider what else to say to you and you (whomever is reading), my eyes begin to tear. I think I summed it up best at our wedding, when I said "you had me at hello." Oh wait, those weren't my vows.

A more accurate version of that line would be: you had me the day you barked like a dog. I think it's OK to tell people that you got down on all fours and actually barked, around the third week we were dating. At that point, I knew.

What was so eerily coincidental (not to mention hysterical) was I had just told Anne-Marie I was waiting for you to get down on the floor and bark like a dog because you were so perfect for me in every way. True story.

Funny how I thought that act would be a deal-breaker before I saw it with my gaping eyes. How many thousands of funny moments have we had since then?

Happy birthday, to the one who constantly surprises me. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment