Saturday, June 4, 2011

No Longer

Acceptance comes on in slow moving waves sometimes. Since it's Asher's birthday tomorrow, a cake comes to mind. Icing being slowly smoothed over the cake bumps - the small clumps that seem to emerge once you begin frosting.

For the past week, I've been staring at my desktop photo, a picture of me at 33, on a beach, broadly smiling with bug-eyed glasses on. This has been part of my manifestation board process - seeing images of what you want to achieve.

And, this girl looks skinny. She looks young. She looks just like...a girl.

I am no longer her. And suddenly, I don't want to be. I wouldn't take away a second of the knowledge, love, or achievement of the past five years. Even if, I am not so skinny and not so girlish - only five short years later.

This is one of those evenings when acceptance washes over you like a cool breeze after impossible heat.

4 comments:

  1. I have a photo of my father, chest thrust up proudly, standing at the entrance to my dorm the day of my graduation from Exeter. I boy of 17 stands next to him with curly hair and a wide narrow smile, squinting against an unusually bright New Hampshire sky.

    I was him for about 10 more years when I married. Late in the cycle of raising Amelia and Douglas, that self returned. I prized him; he faded in my early fifties. I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore being 45. I really like who I am so much better than when I was younger.

    Sometimes I wish I had the knee joints and the elastic skin of earlier times, but other than those few petty things, I prefer the Now to the Then. I can smile indulgently at my previous incarnations -- but I'm very glad they are previous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that, Carolie. Overall, I adore being my age as well. It's just weird sometimes to "be" my age. :)

    ReplyDelete