Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Cicadas after the Storm

The storm began summer. It brought on the locusts (or cicadas - never sure which one) and the muggy blanket of summer in the southeast. I love walking out to hear the bugs greet me, and feel the air's embrace. It's lovely stuff.

Summers, for me, are rather sleepy and carefree. Despite that I love the heat, it does wear on me. I wilt like a cut flower left on the counter, but love every minute up until I've folded in on myself. Because of my forgotten daisy quality, I tend to spend much of these luxurious days inside.

There is a certain humidity of guilt that stays upon my skin about this fact. I keep hearing mothers tell me of the many activities in which they've enrolled their babies and toddlers. And I keep thinking, mmm...am I "supposed" to be doing "all that?"

There's swimming, music, library storytimes, and the like, none of which Asher is involved, at least not on any regular schedule. Is that the mom's world? The toddler's? All I keep thinking is Pandora online radio works for me. We have a kiddy pool. Plus, Dad and I do storytimes at various opportune moments each day.

As I write this, my skin feels a little drier. A rocking chair and a sun hat are what we need this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Am I "supposed to be doing all that" is the question I asked myself for the first year or so of staying at home as a mom, but I'm discovering these last couple of months that less is more sometimes..... especially in these long summer days. A kiddie pool and a rocking chair is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete