Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I am Now Writing the Subject Line

The desire to narrate my life is rather strong. For instance, when company is over, I often say things like "I am just going to get some water," or "I need to use the bathroom." Certain family members, in particular, make fun of this peculiar habit. In fact, I never thought it odd until my father-in-law started with his friendly replies of "Feel free. Make yourself at home" (when I was in my own home).

Since I've been blogging rather regularly and knowing people actually read this stuff (Geese, am I in high school?), I have begun to write entries as I am washing dishes or playing peek-a-boo with Asher (I am good at multi-tasking). This other odd peculiarity often strikes me as humorous. I think to myself, 'The point of a blog is to write about my life in "retrospect"'. Yet, I am becoming an internal narrator of my own actions. (The beginning of a serious problem?)

OK, no more parentheses for one day.

Why am I telling you this? I think simply to get it out there. And maybe to help remind myself that staying in the moment is much more rewarding than obsessing over some grand idea of a blog entry. <By the way, I think that might be the first time I've spelled obsess correctly on the first try.>

Stop obsessing over it. The worries. The constant voice that hangs on at the edge of each moment, trying to pull you into the abyss. Once sucked in, it can be tough to climb up that steep wall of doubt, dread, anticipation, excitement for what might happen or what you might do, etc.

My husband has this great saying, but I am sure I won't quote him correctly: "Stop getting excited about the fact you are feeling excited." What a great helping hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment