Saturday, July 9, 2011

Just Add Basil

Food. Need I say more? Food has taken on all new heights in my life since giving birth. In fact, I think post-pregnancy has brought out the "foodie" (although food fiend seems to fit better) in me even more than pregnancy did.

No one told me that nursing would bring on a raving lunatic for an appetite. Actually, the crazed monster has subsided quite a bit in recent months. I finally realized that eating for three does in fact add weight to your body, even when one is nursing. Eventually, we all have to recognize our over-indulgences. Keeping a tiny human alive does not indeed mean a lady has to replace her plate with a trough. 

Ironically, in a sense, as I practice eating less and eating healthier, my love of cooking is reaching a new stage. I think we might be going steady soon - in particular, my relationship with veggies. Did you know that olive oil and balsamic vinegar can even make beets taste like raspberries? Or that hummus turns celery into lemon drops?

And basil. When added to a tuna salad with a little tomato and a sprinkle of alfalfa sprouts....like a sweet summer kiss upon a shaded porch.

Cooking is the love I've neglected for some time. And now that she's getting more attention, our creative energy can emerge. Egg salad on the fly, buttery baked potato chips for the whole family, or blended up veggies for a unique burger.

Now, Asher and I can have our kitchen play dates, where he plays with bowls and spoons, and I...play with bowls and spoons. As I stir the contents of my produce drawer into a pot, he stirs his wooden rings round and round with a plastic spoon.

Ring around the rosy at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment