Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cranky, tiny, beautiful

Yet another day of being asked to call a Congressman about getting Pat Buchanan kicked off of MSNBC for his racist ways. This means another day of me deleting those emails. Presently, calling my Congressman is not at the top of my agenda. Does this make me a bad person?

In my heart, I am a social and political activist. I make my small, private votes by buying as much organic food as possible and by supporting local businesses when practical. I use many halogen lightbulbs too despite their white, fitting room glare. But, being asked weekly to call my Congressman about saving the whales or the Alaskan wilderness is beyond my capability at this time in my life.

There has to be a line right?

And, none of this is actually what I wanted to write about. What I have been wanting to say is that I am so tired these days. Moving to a new town, although exciting, has been draining. And, it comes at a time when my son demands more and more of me.

However, I had a moment in the bathroom this morning (and no, this isn't gross). Asher often watches me get ready for the day, so he is usually at my feet when I brush my hair and my teeth. Today, he was sitting on the floor, putting half of a plastic Easter egg on his foot, as if it were a shoe. And, I glowed and tingled through the tired, cranky mama I have become. I smiled from ear to ear as he investigated the possibility of wearing this plastic egg on his foot.

God, or whomever you would like to call her, him, it, has given me a tremendous blessing. I am in the luxurious part of life when observing my tiny child's explorations of making noises into cups, of banging spoons on the xylophone, of wearing mom's scarves draped around his neck, and pretending to put lotion on my legs after I've showered occupies most of the day's program time.

My cranky, politically-passive, tiny life is so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment