Friday, October 29, 2010

Sea Change or Just Change

The changes Asher has ushered in have involved more than just bursting at the seams with joy and pride over my little bundle. My relationship with Eric has a different shape and color now. Of course, right? How could it be the same from year to year, even without a child.

The flip side of the most amazingly pure love for a baby is the drastic shift in priorities, arriving a little shockingly and sorrowfully at times. Like a damaged UPS package on your front porch. Eric works two jobs to allow me to raise our son at home. When he walks through the door, some nights at eight or nine o'clock, what little energy he has left often goes to brushing his teeth and putting Ash in his jammies.

The overnight shift from romantic couple-hood to responsible parenthood has been remarkable, a complete sea change if you will.

Yet, somehow it all comes together each day. I steal moments with Eric in the kitchen or before bed, when I capture the familiar spark in his eyes. Right then, I see it. A snapshot of the younger version of us. Of us. The younger form of "us" is always there, I mean. Sometimes, the surface is a little cloudy, and the romantic love stage seems dimmer, but it always comes shining back in full radiance.

No comments:

Post a Comment