Friday, November 5, 2010

Good-bye Dulldrums

Listening to children's music on Pandora while moving my head from left to right, noticing the giddy smile on my face, I realized I never want to leave this state of mind. Sort of. I mean, I can see myself with a goofy grin, playing a guitar and dancing around the maypole with little kids for a loooonng time. Perhaps, my next stage of life- once Ash goes to school - will be as an elementary school teacher.

Having fun with life seems so unheard of for adults, doesn't it? We're not "supposed" to have careers where our jobs are more play than "work." I have come back to a part of myself that I lost somewhere in my twenties. Leaving Seattle was kind of like leaving behind any "childhood" dreams of how life could be.

Why does "maturity" have to mean turning into something serious and callous? My brief stint in corporate America already took some shine off my shoes and spring out of my step. That's why I had to get out. Becoming a teacher was my refuge. My way of saving myself from a life in the Dulldrums.

Yet, I teach college online right now. There's not much room for fun and games in that. Perhaps, for our spirits to thrive, to become as large as we can be, more laughter and play are necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment