Monday, November 22, 2010

Little Big

Outside of Flying Biscuit yesterday, as I was standing by our car waiting for my husband to bring us some napkins to wipe up some spilled coffee, I was watching these two little girls. One was about six, the other about eight. Both were dressed in fancy winter boots and trendy older-girlish dresses. They were staring into a retail shop window, commenting on the fancy dresses hanging in the window.

I was fascinated by the familiar discussion, one I could remember having in some fashion or other when I was a child. It went something like this:

"I want to have the blue dress."
"No, I want that one."
"But, I called it already."
"OK, I'll have 'that' one."
"Yeah, I want that one too."
"When I grow up, I am going to wear that dress."

I couldn't help, but think how odd it is that we spend much of childhood practicing and wishing for adulthood. As a new parent, I am equally intrigued with how quickly and willingly I can become a child again.

What's even more disturbing to me about the fact kids only want to be "grown up," is that nowadays small girls already dress like adolescents. Wearing tall black boots and midriff cardigans.

When will our children get to be just kids? Revel, bathe, blow dandelion seeds, skip down the sidewalk....for as long as you can, Ash. Until you too get to relive all of this in parenthood. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment