Saturday, April 16, 2011

Base Camp

I am not a perfect mom, as shocking as this might sound. Despite this ground-breaking discovery, I like to fancy myself the embodiment of all that is good and calm- the peaceful, all-knowing mother goddess. Whoa. Is that over the top, or what? It's true, though. I like to think I am always keeping cool and acting appropriately. (My husband, the keeper of all my dark secrets, would be laughing out loud if he were reading over my shoulder.)

For a blurry amount of time, my son has been waking up as soon as his head hits his peaceful crib, particularly when it's nap time. Now, if you are a mom, you understand the gravity of this situation. Ain't no mountain high enough to keep a momma away from trying to get her child to nap. (Clearing throat noise) Except that your dear, sweet, wonderful child can scale Mount Everest, laughing disdainfully as his pick axe digs into your lullaby's rock.

There you are. Left weeping on your knees, your love monster staring down from above, smiling with glee.

A Mother Goddess would smile cheerily, no matter how much she had been counting on that nap. She would do this each and every time, day after day. See where I am going?

Grumble, grumble...I have no tidy way to end this one. After putting the stuffing back in and sewing myself together, I reflect upon how untidy it all is. How OK a parent can become with rose petals from her wedding, a bottle of unopened Elmer's glue, an abandoned blue pacifier, four aimlessly stacked nursery rhymes, a bottle of aspirin, a sprinkling of pennies, a month-old water bottle, a roll of toilet paper, etc, etc.. littering her dresser top day after day. Mommy-hood at its best.

Love is messy. Seeking perfection is crazy-making.

1 comment:

  1. Your Asher is irresistible, I know . As you go along the path, messiness will crowd it, but I remember that my children navigated it OK, partways on their own. Early on, we got exhausted by following them through it. The way was too fascinating to close our eyes.

    ReplyDelete