Monday, April 25, 2011

Open Sesame

Sometimes, we all need a new look. No, I haven't died (not an intentional misspelling, but I like it) my hair blond yet, but yes, I am thinking about it. Instead, my blog is the one who got some new color. This was a much cheaper option.

However, during this makeover, I realized how much time I was wasting on....what? On perusing templates, those ready-made ones that come with Blogger. Like the screen savers allotted to your personal computer. Fairly blah, but so much fun to see your options.

What am I looking for in that experience? What are you? Is there one exact template that sums up our personality? If you choose a hobby, such as reading, you might select a pile of books. But, if you choose the pile of books, are you then saying to the world, my love of reading supersedes my marriage and my child? And my love of music, yoga, and Seinfeld?

Brief summation...it seems what summarizes me right now is a laundromat. Only, it's not what you're thinking. It's Sesame Street. Yes, Sesame Street. The kids' show. A character on this show runs a laundromat which looks very much like this - and every other laundromat for that matter. 

My life is strikingly similar to Sesame Street. I've given up my imaginary Snuffaluffagus (sp?) for a real elephant. I spend much of my time trying to teach things like up vs. down, inside vs. outside, open vs. close, and so on. Oscar the Grouch still makes appearances to remind everyone he still likes to be miserable. And, the first thing Asher and I do in the morning is wave hello to the owls on the wall and talk to the elephants and zebras hanging from his mobile. 

So, it's official. I play a character on my own private kids' show. And the commute is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment