Saturday, September 24, 2011

Giving up Karma

You think you have this mom thing down. It's been, what...over a year....psshhh. You have it in the bag now. Not that it's easy. It's not easy, but more rewarding and magical than anything you can imagine. Every day is a day to Charlie's chocolate factory, even if sometimes you don't have the winning ticket and have to stand in the cold. I am assuming it's cold. Wasn't it cold in the Depp version? Anyone with me?

Your adorable, extremely active son went down for bed as usual. And, two hours later wakes up screaming with a fever of almost 104. How can this be God's green-ish earth? Must this be part of the job description? I'd like to edit some of my duties. I'll even take on less sleep and even more rock gathering.

It just seems ridiculous and impossible. But, you do it, worrying the whole way. For some reason, when his fever gets this high, it tends to stick around like a desperate ex, refusing to stop calling until you've broken your phone to bits and moved out of state.

Mmm...I am sounding a bit nuts. It's just that the nights when you and your husband are up until beyond the break of dawn, holding your feverish child in your arms remind you how great all those other nights are - even the ones with interrupted sleep.

I'll take the skipping record, the one person food fight every night, the hitting in the face followed by a sweet hug, and the sidewalk tripping. Even the running away from you in public. The fevers, the drooping eyes, pale face, and refusal to eat...I'll sacrifice a little karma if someone wants to take those on for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment