Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Fill it Up

While putting sugar in my coffee this morning, I thought of the same story a former friend from Seattle once told me, about an ex-girlfriend he had who used to pour sugar into a cup of coffee as if it were bottomless. As if she needed 3 pounds of sugar for each cup. On countless mornings, I have remembered this small, mundane tidbit about a woman whom I never met.

The fact I can still think of it over twelve years later is mind-boggling to me. Our associative memory is such a stubborn recorder at times. It can get stuck on rewind, caught in one track. And then, that track becomes the present and future track of so many other moments.

What is it about that one story?

The question is somewhat futile to ask, I realize. Not to mention, it's pretty obvious that we are more present at certain times than we are at others. And, we will always remember more details when are bodies and brains are more present.

I was just watching a video taken this past Christmas, and I did not remember certain comments I made to Eric, not even two weeks ago. This fact scared me a little.

Thus, I am reminded, in this new year, to keep the recorder on. To listen. To feel. To be awake to receiving some secret to the universe that could appear at any time. Right? To remember my cup can always be fuller.

No comments:

Post a Comment