Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Retrograde

Are we destined to raise our children as a statement against how we were raised? Does it become our purpose as parents to ensure our kids don't get as screwed up as we did (or at least not in the same way)?

Granted, what sane, intelligent, warm-hearted person wouldn't want her child to grow up with love, acceptance, and open-mindedness? Yet, in these first six months, I have already caught myself purposely allowing and accepting certain things that weren't accepted by my dad when I was growing up.

I just don't want my child's childhood to be some personal statement, or movement even, "against" the issues I had growing up. In some ways, isn't that just perpetuating the cycle? Making my issues about my child?

I like that I am thinking of this now so that I can try to allow, nurture, and encourage, but perhaps with a little more room for my husband's and my current belief system to shine. Our child should benefit from what we've gained and learned without using him to try and change what cannot be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment