Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Books, and Plugs, and Lamps, Oh My!

Life has become a war zone of possible threats - hardback books falling from shelves, plugs being pulled, lamps toppling over, etc. You guessed it. Crawling has begun. Now, no serious injuries have occurred and no actual glass has shattered. But, my perspective of my own home has shifted dramatically.

Once a peaceful sanctuary, it is now a minefield, with unsuspecting small poofs of smoke erupting at least once or twice within each half hour my son is awake.

For someone who has to work at staying calm while lounging on the couch, this brand new stage is somewhat unsettling. I am excited too at the challenge of coming up with creative solutions. Ways to make my home softer and more cushion-y. Books are being replaced on shelves with stuffed animals and baby toys, for instance.

Aside from the underlying threat of "imminent" danger, I love this stage. I love that Asher is forcing mom and dad to include him more in their lives. Piece by piece, we work on this puzzle, metal detectors out. And our home becomes more of his home, where he can feel a sense of sanctuary too.

No comments:

Post a Comment