Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Vampire's Plastic Teeth

"Pretending to be myself again, imitating a person I've always been. Wearing the clothes that I always wear. Doing the usual thing to my hair...A bunny in a bunny suit. A vampire with plastic teeth." -Simone White

You know those songwriters who speak to you so well, it's like they have been your friend since third grade? Simone White is one of those singers for me. The line above is from "Bunny in a Bunny Suit," and it speaks so true to my experience of myself.

I'd say, at 38, my bunny suit might look tattered. It might still have a droopy ear, one glass eye, a partially intact arm, and so on. But, its zipper is broken. No longer does it come up to my neck. One foot is now free, bare and soft.

More and more, there are even times the whole darn thing comes off. And there I am. The person who's been going through Elizabeth's gestures, facial expressions, saying what Elizabeth typically says is now free. Her hair is cut. Her voice not a bit shaky. Her gaze, steady. She is embracing the morning's new bouquet of offerings. Taking deep breaths before going back under.

No comments:

Post a Comment