Thursday, October 6, 2011

At Home in One's Skin - or Bricks

Authentic is the word for downtown Frederick.This town is comfortable in its skin, in a way I am unused to. The coffee shops, hip restaurants, and groovy music shops are so...themselves, that it's almost uncomfortable.

What do I mean, exactly? I am not used to authentic places with history and shop owners who seem to be part of their shops. Built from bricks, centuries of ghost stories, and years of faithful customers.

I don't know what it's like to be rooted in any one place like that. I've never felt that before, and yet, it's what I've longed for my whole life. To be one with my environment, to the point where every stranger in town is apparent. Where it's great to be me. To feel homegrown and established, like the architecture and the farmers' crops.

Ironic. This is the word for a person who has recently moved to an authentic, old town, one she has always seen herself living in, only to feel "apparently" other.

No comments:

Post a Comment