Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Read the Label

I don't mean to be so cynical. Those of you who know me well, know that's not what's down there if you dig a few feet. But, I was reading this poem the other night about a man losing interest in his favorite stuffed animal when he was a kid, and it struck home to me rather profoundly.The poet expressed sadness at losing love for something "simple" and "small."

We live in a jaded world. Holding on to the Velveteen rabbit's magic is challenging for us. After all, the rabbit becomes old and his fur worn. Nothing is meant to stay shiny or keep its new car smell.

To get to the point, my metaphorical basement is pretty full of fabulous life experiences which have lost some sheen. And taking out the mop and bucket can be so arduous. This is how it often feels, at least. Like polish and bleach are necessary when say a relationship or a bad attitude needs a sparkle.


But, it's not that hard, usually. Ironically, I am working too hard at saying what I mean write now. So,just read the label. Maybe your husband, coworker or friend needs hot water instead of cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment