Monday, October 31, 2011

Little Red Riding Hood

Brooding. My word for Halloween night. Eric went back to his spa to finish inventory, and Asher fell asleep at 7:00. Actually, Asher going to bed on time is great. But, all of this means I can't give out the nagging bowl of candy I have taunting me, like the telltale heart. Bum-pum, bum-pum...you know I am down here Elizabeth, it cries.

In fact, our whole Halloween has practically been a bust. After dressing up in my favorite blond wig and sporting my peace necklace, headband, and round glasses, we get to a Halloween festival down the road only to find that Asher, Eric, and I are three of about six people who actually dressed up for the event. The Halloween spirit lives so strongly in me - and my husband - you see. So, it's rather depressing to feel the holiday vanishing like an apparition through a wall, with no proper costume party or trick-or-treating experience to send it on its way.

Well, there was this one moment. The two families who came to our house early enough for Asher to be awake, had several wide-eyed, smiling kids all traveling as a group. One little, little girl was not much bigger than my 16-month old son. Little Red Riding Hood with red blush smeared in sloppy circles on her tiny cheeks. As soon as she saw Asher standing behind me, she leapt up the one step into our foyer, greeting Asher with a solid stare. It was intense and sweet, even though her father looked seriously concerned that she was inside our home.

It was as if this small girl hadn't seen someone her own size....maybe ever. And, strangely, she reminded me of myself. Leaping upon strangers who seem remotely similar, trying to connect. Can I come in? My, what a warm house you have...

Some internal parent or guardian always pulls me out too. Saying, that's not the way friends are made.You could at least wait until you are invited in, silly.

After all, things didn't go particularly well for the red riding hood girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment